Friday, January 22, 2010

*How* do you tip a hairdresser?

I've read all the articles on tipping hairdressers. The consensus seems to be that you tip about 10% (unless it's the owner of the salon). But what I find hard to know is *how* to do it, and I always feel really awkward and embarrassed about it. Do you give it to them in person? Or do you wait till you get to the desk and pay, and then give the receptionist the tip to pass on? What about the junior who washes your hair? I'd feel really uncomfortable handing money over directly - it feels so old fashioned and patronising. But if I wait till I get to the desk then I feel I can't tip the junior because I usually have no idea what her name is.





If there are any UK hairdressers out there I'd really like to know what you find people usually do. And what they say, if they say anything at all.*How* do you tip a hairdresser?
ive been a junior for 3yrs and people usually give their hairdresser and my tip in at reception, and they put it in a box to pass on.


i do find it patronising when people give you tips in hand, and it seems much more professional to hand it in at the desk when you're paying.


10% is standard, but don't forget the juniors who break their backs for you and get paid the shittest wage!!*How* do you tip a hairdresser?
They are performing a personal service on you, I think you should personally give it to them. They would be very appreciative of you handing it to them ';personally';.
As a hairdresser people tip me in different ways. Most tip me when they are paying. They hand over more cash then is requested and they say, you keep the change. When I was a junior, people would slip 5 bucks or so into my hand all the time secretly. Most tips you give, the employers take anyway... they go straight into the till. They don't let you accept them. So if i were you... hand it to them at the chair secretly. And it doenst have to be big. Even $5 is a nice suprise.
i tend to round up say 拢36 to 拢40 and tell the hairdresser to keep the change. in my salon, the hairdresser will book your next appointment and take payment, making it easier to tip ! I guess the hairdresser thought the same thing you have, so this avoids embarrassment.
cash
Hi


I am a hairdresser and love recieving tips, it makes it more worthwhile and it shows that the client really appreciated you. It really doesnt matter how you do it, either in person or to the receptionist. Most salons have seperate piggy banks for their staff so if you said to the girl at the till 'thats for Sharon' then they would put it in Sharon's bank, but by doing that, the hairdresser doesnt know who left them tips, so i prefer getting them directly, because sometimes, a cheeky receptionist may pocket the tips themselves as if nothing happened, so i say direct is best!!


I am self employed now,(mobile stylist) but still receive tips. If my clients bill adds up to say, 拢28 they would usually say 'just keep the two' so most people round it up so they can leave a tip. Be warned though, because some salons are very cheeky and put all the tips into one jar and it gets split evenly at end of week, which sounds fair, but to be honest,, its not really that fair as the people who have earned alot of the tips don't get as much as they deserve and the people who aren't so friendly and tip-worthy recieve alot of tips at end of week when they don't deserve them.


Usually a 拢1-拢2 tip is fair for a stylist and 50p-拢1 is good enough for the assistant (junior).


Have fun next time you visit your salon and give tips directly as the stylist will appreciate it more and its a more personal touch.


Hope that helped,


Sharon xxx
I'm not in the UK, but what I do is when my hairdresser is done with my hair, I usually ask how much do I owe her, then determine what I'm going to tip. Actually I usually tip between 5 and 10 dollars. I just open my purse, pull out what I'm going to tip, then place it upon her station table. Then I give her my thanks, and head for the desk.
you can either give it in person, or at the till and just say this is for the 'junior or hair washer' whatever . . . they will be glad of the money and probably won't care how you do it!
Can't say I ever feel the need to tip my barber - their price list is on the wall and that's what I pay them, I would have thought a ladies' hair dresser would already be charging a small fortune so I would feel even less inclined to give them anything extra, it's not like they're going to do a bad job next time if you don't (if they do then complain like stink and never go there again!)
They usually pay bill at counter then put what ever they wish to give the stylist junior monies into their pockets so no nosey people can see what you give
WEll i gues it depends how good they do it, your heart will really decide how much they deserve and well ill just give it to them straight up after i look in the mirror......
I struggle with this one too - especially as I go to Toni and Guy and have different people cutting and colouring my hair. I always leave 10% of the total with the receptionist to be split between them. I always feel awkward handing the tip over directly just in case it isn't enough!
If I give a tip I usually do it in person.





But I don't really know why we should tip the hairdresser. They are just doing their job that they get paid to do - no one comes up to me at work and gives me a tip when I do something for them. We don't tip staff in supermarkets/high street stores etc, or the optician, dentist etc, so why do we tip hairdressers?
Tip the junior and also tip the Senior and tell the Senior you also tipped the junior. It's not old fashioned, keep it up.
I rarely tip. It's patronising and anyhow, I'm not working at the moment.
Tell them not to cross the road when theres a bus approaching.
3.15 @ kempton
Make sure you have change to recieve and then tell them to keep the change
';Get rid of that crappy mullet/slapper extensions';. lol





When I worked in a salon there used to be boxes by the cash desk in order for you to stick tips in. If you're uncomfortable giving it to them straight, stick it in an envelope. I'd say 10% and a quid for the shampooist.
my barber charges me 9 quid to do my hair, so i let him keep the pound out of a tenner. How good am i haha
I would defo give 10% because they work miracles on my hair. I always make sure that i have enough change/notes (depending on the treatment) and I just say, thanks it looks great here's something for you to get a drink with. Its better to tip awkwardly than not tip at all i feel!
I dont tip a hairdresser. I never have. They are already getting paid... why should i pay them some more?





I suppose my purse strings are a little more tight.
ya give it to them when there down, just say here ya go.
It is not common to give additional tips to hairdressers in here - I usually go to small salons where everything belongs to the hairdresser-owner herself, so.. if I pay her, that should be enough...
Hi i always tip the hairdresser when i go all i do is when i got to the desk to pay say my hair cut cost 拢8.00 i would give the hairdresser a 拢10 note and then before she gives me the change back ill just say, It doesnt matter about the change, or keep the change for doing my hair so lovely. Theres no need to be embarrased just make a conversation out of it. If you intend o n giving a tip just carry change with you so when you pay just say thank you, Then walk away if she calls you back say its fine about the change. The usually know what you mean by this.Most hairdressers do.





If you are too shy you could even post the a letter thanking the hairdresser, make sure you know her name and send her some money or a check. if you really feel guilty from not giving tips
you should not feel embarrassed about giving a tip in person whoever it is will think you're a nice person if you're giving them a tip no matter how much it is its a compliment to them knowing you're happy with the service and if they know you're happy it gives them confidence in what they're doing.
The don't deserve a tip, some of them think they are fashion guru's and the bees, I think they are plonkers. They always overcharge and never take enough off and really not being nasty, most are below average, my bf does a better job, so there's a tip you can give them from me, climb down from up your own **** and do what you are paid for, slave.
Go to Tony n Guy's - you dont have to worry abt tipping anyone!
Some of them have boxes at the till but they have to declare tips in these these for tax - but they are not required to if you give them the tip in their hand.
I give it straight to them- a fiver for the hair stylish and a pound or two to the junior who washed my hair. Juniors get rubbish pay and rely on tips so they dont care how you give it to them- they will appreciate it any way!
you tip them in person about 40%

No comments:

Post a Comment