Friday, May 14, 2010

Survey: Do hairdressers chatting to you drive you mad?

A sad question I know, but I find getting my haircut an ordeal because the barber, no matter where I go, ALWAYS insists on banal chat.





Am I just being rude, wanting my haircut in silence, apart from a complementary ';good job'; a the end?Survey: Do hairdressers chatting to you drive you mad?
Not just that, but when you go to the same person more than once and you have their ';questionaire routine'; memorized.





For example:


';So are you married?';


';Do you have kids?';


';What do you do in your free time?';





';...You're being paid to do my hair. This isn't a first date.';





Survey: Do hairdressers chatting to you drive you mad?
Haha some people find it fun you know, and some customers actually try and get their hairdresser to talk to them and have chats because that way they can form a friendship and they might even get discounts haha. If you really don't like chatting to your hairdresser then just make sure you don't say anything rude because he is the one cutting your hair so be careful =P
The constant chatting used to drive me mad sure


But the other day I went to get my hair done and I ended up with this one who was completely silent, except to tell me to take a seat





And I realised that was even worse!


So awkward


I ended up trying to small talk her


Asking about the holidays and the like
OMG i know what you mean!!





i have a cut and colour every 6 weeks, which should take about an hour and a half, but ive been in for 3 hours before now





thing is, i dont mind so much, as my stylist is also a close friend from my childhood, has done my hair for the past 14 years or so, and i wouldnt ever let anyone touch it!





Also while my colour is on we go out the back for a ciggie and a brew n girlie banter, so actually i quite like it, but it just takes up so much of my time when having my hair done!!!!!!





:p
Tasha basically said what i was going to lol it does depends what they are talking about really, how much imagination they have :p it must do their head in as well sometimes if they just end up saying they same stuff to person after person and then end up having the same conversation half of the time :s
I am a hairdresser and I don't chat too much at all, in fact I would rather cut quietly. Also, despite what people might think, if your a chatty customer .. a lot of the time the hairdresser can't hear you anyway with the dryers %26amp; all going !
Take a book with you. Most people understand you don't yammer at a person that's reading. If that doesn't work, find a barber that's quiet. My husbands barber is very quiet. All you hear in that barber shop is the hum of clippers and a grandfather clock. Not a lot of blabbing at all.
No, I agree. I hate it too. I often want peace and quiet to think and I would enjoy the experience a lot more if they just did it in silence. The worst I find is when all the other cutters are silent and it ends up the whole room listening to your conversation...
I've been going to the same hairdresser for over 10 years, he and I know each other well after all this time and there is always a lot to talk about.





Your situation is different. Tell him before he begins that you have a headache. Good luck with that.
It usually helps to ask for a magazine and look really engrossed in it, and they tend to leave you alone! My hairdresser is pretty cool though, we have nothing in common to talk about, but he usually has some good stories to tell.
yeh. i think if u wana chat to them u should start the topic of conversation off otherwise they rant on about stuff u dont even care about! i prefer to just sit and have 20 mins to myself without them chinning on in my ear!
No not really it's the other way around for me.


I don't want her/him to do my hair with complete silence,that's uncomfortabble.But a hairdresser who can't seem to shut up is annoying too =]
Not so much, but I have a chatty dentist that loves to pick argumentative subjects exactly when I have my mouth full of stuff, by the time I am able to speak my time is over........
Anyone who goes on and on about nothing will last less than five minutes with me when having my hair cut or any other such necessary but time involving activity.
They're trying to spice up their job. I also find talk at the hairdressers fairly awkward but I was never one to open up with strangers.
it depends what they are talking about really, i hate sitting in silence. but i'd rather the hairdresser concentrating on my hair so it doesn't screw up
I have children so I like to just sit and relax while getting my hair cut and enjoy the silence.
it is annoying but not as bad as when the dentist or hygienist asks you questions while they have their hands in your mouth. almost impossible to respond
maybe they just like to talk to break the ';uncomfortable silence';.
I agree with you.....All I want to do is get my hair cut in peace. I don't want to hear all the barbers drivell and idal chit chat
I honestly hate sitting in silence. It makes me feel uncomfortable for some reason. I don't mind when they talk to me as long as they don't mess up my hair.
No, I am nervous around strangers so it relieves me when they talk. Otherwise, I do all the talking.
sometimes yes,when i go to get my hair cut or fix my hair the hairdressers talk for so long i am sorry but they think we care about their life
I agree with you unless it is someone you have been to many times they should pay attention to what they are doing.
god that does my fooking head in I feel like saying just shut the fook up cut my hair the way I want, and let me fook off!!!! lol xxxx
YES!!! I quit going to my last stylist because I couldn't stand listenting to her. She told me her life story every time I went there and it was making me sick.
yes bloody annoying! i wish theyd zip it %26amp; let me have my own thoughts while i am being pampered


all trey ever talk about is hols %26amp; the weather BORING
I never used to like all this small talk until a few years back,changed barber and the one I've got now I actually look forward to the crack......so go somewhere else maybe Best of luck.
yes. especially when they tell you not to move cuz talking makes your head move its like being at the fooking dentist. cant have someones hands in my mouth and talk at the same fooking time.
I prefer to chat as I find silent moments embarrassing.
Yes you know i went to the hairdressers once and all i heard was.


'; I'm going out tonight can't wait. ';

No comments:

Post a Comment